On Friday April 12th –
- The CBOE Gold ETF Volatility Index (GVZ) rose 6.03 points to close at 21.32. The 39.4% rise was an all-time record for a one-day % rise for the GVZ Index. CBOE Gold ETF Volatility Index (GVZ) Security Futures now are offered for trading.
- The CBOE Silver ETF Volatility Index (VXSLV) rose 7.19 points (or 30.0%) to close at 31.18.
- The CBOE Volatility Index® (VIX®) fell 0.18 points to close at 12.06.
- The SPDR Gold Trust ETF (GLD) fell 7.10 points (or 4.7%) to close at 143.95.
- The iShares Silver Trust ETF (SLV) fell 1.42 points (or 5.32%) to close at 25.28.
Viewing the price changes above, it is clear that all volatility indexes do not move in lock-step with one another. Futures and options on both the VIX and GVZ indexes could be considered for diversification purposes.
For more information on volatility indexes and risk management, please visit www.cboe.com/volatility.