CBOE Futures Exchange (CFE) recently introduced two extended trading hours (ETH) periods for the popular futures on the CBOE Volatility Index® (VIX®): the afternoon ETH period (3:30 pm to 4:15 pm Chicago time) launched on October 28, and the early morning ETH period (beginning at 2:00 am CT) commenced on November 4.
RECENT VIX FUTURES TRADING VOLUME DURING ETH
- In the 2:00 to 7:00 a.m. CT period: 11,051 total VIX futures contracts traded during the week of November 11.
- In the 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. CT period: 10,483 total VIX futures contracts traded during the week of November 11.
TRADING HOURS FOR VIX FUTURES
VIX futures now are available for trading more than 13 hours per day, as shown in below —
WORLDWIDE, ROUND-THE-CLOCK INTEREST IN THE VIX
The VIX Index has attracted worldwide, round-the-clock interest, and the extension of VIX trading hours is designed to facilitate the management of volatility exposure by investors in Europe and elsewhere.
Many of the European-based speakers and attendees at last month’s Second Annual CBOE Risk Management Conference Europe expressed great interest in long and/or short VIX-based trading and investment strategies. Topics covered at the conference included —
- Volatility as an Asset Class
- Performance of VIX carry and portfolio hedging strategies
- Empirical results of hedging strategies including those using SPX, VIX and other products
For more information on VIX futures and options, please visit www.cboe.com/VIX.