A panel discussion featuring four experts will survey the development and promise of volatility products. The panelists will include volatility product traders and users. The meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 26, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. at CBOE, 400 South LaSalle Street in Chicago. The four panelists will be:
- Mike Edleson, Ph.D., CFA, Chief Risk Officer, Office of Investments, University of Chicago,
- Joanne Hill, Ph.D., Head of Investment Strategy, ProShare Advisors,
- Jamie Tyrell, VIX Options Market-maker, Group One Trading, and
- Krag “Buzz” Gregory, Ph.D., Managing Director, Goldman Sachs.
Topics to be addressed include:
- The tenth anniversary of the launch of VIX index futures on March 26, 2004,
- The launch of new volatility indexes and products over the past decade,
- Discussion of VIX contract performance in periods of market turbulence,
- Discussion of contract design, pricing, and contango issues, and
- Applications, including managing portfolio tail risk and enhancing risk-adjusted returns.
The moderator will be Matt Moran of CBOE.
Admission is $15 in advance (or $20 at the door) with light food and drinks provided. The doors will open at 5:00 pm., the panel discussion will commence at 5:30 pm and conclude by 7:00 pm.
Purchase tickets or reserve a seat (space available) via TicketLeap: http://chicagoqwafafew.ticketleap.com/qwafafew–mar-26-2014.
The meeting is hosted by Chicago QWAFAFEW http://qwafafew.org/index.php/chapters/chicago
GROWTH IN VOLUME FOR VIX FUTURES AND OPTIONS
The volume trends are indicative of heightened interest in use of VIX-based products.